They diagnosed me a schizophrenic when I was just a Gemini
Our service London Hearing Voices Network is hosting an online workshop, facilitated by Dr Colin King.
It will be held on Thursday 10th February 2022 and is in two sections.
Part One is a first person narrative exploring the Lived Experience and two-sided world of a Gemini: The frontstage, first world, of a diagnosed black, male schizophrenic and the backstage second world of a black mental health practitioner, commissioner & teacher.
Part Two examines how these worlds are informed historically. Using the image of the travelling escalator, we’ll evaluate the ways that European diagnostic & legal frameworks and theories of eugenics emerge from the period of slavery, and how they influence values and behaviours. And also examine:—
• How race emerges in parallel with the conceptual, philosophical and psychiatric forms of whiteness that define schizophrenia
• How black men (currently over-represented in the mental health system) are exposed to forms of whiteness and intrusive models of ‘drapetomania’ in European psychiatry
• How this produces racialised compliance inside the family, school and prison system
• To discuss a range of models that develops whiteness as a framework for translating the experiences of a black man diagnosed with schizophrenia and his role working in the mental health system.
• To understand and explore the experience of race and racialisation in the mental health system
• To evaluate the effectiveness of cultural competence, shared decision making and co-production within psychiatry and psychology, as a path to race equality.
• To look at new critical approaches to the Euro-centric model of race, and also at anti-racist pedagogic approaches to co-production, in which the epistemology of lived experience of race, across the colour line, informs the values and behaviour of a new psychiatry.
About the trainer
Colin King is a mental health survivor and since being diagnosed he has been challenging inequality and social racialised injustices.
To find out about fees and to register